According to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot footage that his team has been studying, Fox News host Tucker Carlson stated that he thinks the government has been lying to the American people.
On January 6, 2021, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, giving Fox exclusive access to the videos, handed over more than 40,000 hours of CCTV footage from within the Capitol building to Carlson.
McCarthy stated that he would make the films more publicly accessible to the public after Carlson has finished studying them. Carlson teased the information he would disclose to his audience regarding the videos as early as next week when he stated he would do so.
He questioned how the government could be defending democracy if it was denying the American people access to the facts that would enable them to form their own opinions about the Capitol disturbance.
McCarthy has defended providing Carlson the exclusive, saying that no information would be supplied to him without being reviewed to ensure the security of the Capitol complex, despite Carlson’s history of making exaggerated claims and conspiracy theories regarding the Capitol incident.
The House Speaker claimed that no exit routes utilized by MPs would be made public but did not go into any detail regarding the procedure. Democrats have criticized McCarthy since he said he would give Carlson unrestricted access to the film, claiming that the tapes might endanger delicate security operations at the Capitol and reveal weaknesses that could be exploited by someone who might seek to attack the Capitol again.
Former House committee chairman Bennie Thompson stated he would actually be supportive of a procedure aiming for real transparency as long as it did not jeopardize the integrity or the security of the Capitol.
Dominion Voting Systems has filed a significant defamation lawsuit against Carlson and Fox News, claiming that the network damaged the company’s reputation by spreading rumors that Joseph Biden was fraudulently elected president in 2020 using the company’s equipment.
While the network’s top executives were aware that the charges of election fraud made by former president Donald Trump were bogus, they continued to repeat them to their audiences, as evidenced by text messages from anchors like Tucker Carlson that have been made public. In a text message from November, Carlson wrote that Trump should surrender the race because “there wasn’t enough fraud to affect the result.”
GOP Plans to Give Jan. 6 Capitol Riot Footage Copy to Defendants
Tens of thousands of hours of video footage from the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the US Capitol will also be made available to anybody charged in connection with that incident, according to House Republicans, GOP leaders announced on Tuesday.
A number of legal, political, and security issues were raised as soon as the defendants were given access to the surveillance video, which is also being extended to Fox News personality Tucker Carlson.
Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.), who is in charge of overseeing public requests and the release of the files and videos from the Jan. 6 incident, said on Tuesday that he will take requests for access from Jan. 6 defendants into consideration. Loudermilk is the chair of the House Administration Subcommittee on Oversight.
Some other stories claim that as of January 6, prosecutors and defense lawyers had access to a vast collection of footage and documents. All of the materials in the Justice Department’s possession are available to defense lawyers. Nevertheless, one petition claims that the new collection of films that House Republicans are planning to make public goes beyond what they have previously had access to.
The defense team for Jan. 6 defendant Ryan Nichols submitted a legal brief on Monday stating that they had previously “obtained permission to review the totality” of the new video and requested a postponement of the trial.