The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced the official start date of the 2023 tax filing season is January 23. It also announced other key deadlines for the 2023 tax season.
The Internal Service Revenue will start accepting and processing returns on January 23 and will end on April 18. The agency expects more than 168 million Americans to file taxes for this season. With that, more than 5,000 customer service representatives were hired to help in answering questions over the phone and provide services to taxpayers.
The key helpline of the IRS is: 1-800-829-1040 or visit the IRS website
Acting IRS Commissioner Doug O’Donnell said this filing season is the first to benefit from the national tax system’s multi-year funding based on the Inflation Reduction Act. He proudly said that this year, improvements in many areas of the agency can be seen since they have trained thousands of new employees to help in addressing taxpayers’ concerns. Taxpayers could expect improvement this season.
Here are some important tax dates:
- January 13: Opening of the IRS Free File
- January 17: deadline for the fourth quarter estimated tax payment for the tax year 2022
- January 23: official start date of the 2023 tax season and the agency will start accepting and processing returns
- January 27: Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day – IRS will conduct an awareness campaign for those eligible low and moderate-income families and workers to avail of this tax credit
- April 18: National deadline for filing or requesting an extension for the 2022 tax return
READ ALSO: Tax Deadlines 2023: Mark The Important Dates