After being hospitalized, Al Roker returns to ‘Today’ with health update, saying, ‘I lost half my blood’

Following a four-week hospital stay in November, Al Roker left Today for two months before coming back on Friday morning. 

Rehabilitation Process

After a health concern brought on by a blood clot in his leg that broke up into smaller clots and finally went to his lungs, the weatherman focused his entire concentration on his rehabilitation.

Roker explained the clots were an unfortunate after effect of undergoing COVID-19 in September, which was worsened by internal bleeding, during his comeback program. He said, “I lost half my blood.” They were looking for it and attempting to locate it.

Other Health Concerns

During one visit, the medical staff at the New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center found two bleeding ulcers. Roker said that surgeons had to remove his gallbladder, reshape a portion of his small intestine, and resection his colon. “I went in for one procedure, I got four free,” he chuckled.

Putting jokes aside, the cherished Today team member thought about the seriousness of the medical problem he had encountered. According to everyone of my physicians, things may have turned out differently if I hadn’t been in the condition I was in at the time, he added.

Roker’s gastroenterologist, Dr. Felice H. Schnoll-Sussman, told Today that the doctors treating him were “extraordinarily worried” and that his situation was “life-threatening.”

Deborah Roker, who is Roker’s wife, also made a guest appearance on the program to discuss his rehabilitation. He is a real-life miracle, she declared. “He truly is, and I have to say, Al was a very, very sick man. I don’t believe I’m overstating it. And I believe that most people were unaware of that.

He was a medical enigma for weeks, she said. The trip was the most chaotic and terrifying one we’ve ever taken.

Earlier Report

Due to “complications” after the beloved weatherman’s recent health crisis from blood clots, Al Roker has been readmitted to the hospital.

After missing the morning program in November, Roker disclosed that he had been “taken to the hospital with a blood clot in my leg that sent some clots into my lungs.” I am really lucky to be receiving excellent medical treatment and to be making progress toward recovery after some medical whack-a-mole.

For the first time in 27 years, Roker was unable to watch the Thanksgiving Day parade due to blood clots. However, on the same day, Roker posted on social media that he had been released from the hospital, was watching the parade live from his home, and was enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with his family.

Kolb stated, “He is receiving extremely wonderful care.” He is taking a nap, and his doctors are monitoring him closely. Al and his family would like to express their gratitude to everyone for the love, support, and best wishes.

While it’s unknown when Roker would return to Today following his re-hospitalization, Savannah Guthrie implied that the weatherman wouldn’t return to the morning program until 2023, the Wrap said. Today co-host Craig Melvin added, “We will see you back here soon, my buddy.”