The suspect involved in a road rage shooting in Houston that occurred earlier this month and claimed a teenager’s life has turned himself in, authorities said. Gerald Wayne Williams, 34, wanted on a warrant charging murder, surrendered himself on Monday.
The road rage shooting took place on July 6. The teenager, identified as 17-year-old David Castro, was on his way home after a Houston Astros game with his family. The teen was in a pickup truck driven by his father when the shooting happened. According to Paul Castro, the father of the deceased teenager, they were driving on Chartres Street near McCarty Street and East Freeway when he and the driver of a white Buick exchanged some gestures, which were not elaborated.
After the exchange with Williams, Paul said that the man followed his pickup truck as he drove onto McCarty Street. Williams then started to fire several shots into the truck being driven by the teen’s father. Unfortunately, one of the bullets hit the boy in the head. Paul drove to an area near Highway 59 and McGowen Street to call for help. The teenager was taken to the hospital, but he died from his injuries.
In a press conference held last month, Paul said, “Whatever offense he took to me or my vehicle, was murdering my son and possibly spending the rest of his life in jail, was that worth it?” Williams did not release any comment regarding the incident.
Paul also released a statement after Williams turned himself in. He said that they are thankful that Williams peacefully went to the police department to surrender and did not cause anything to put the community or the police officials in jeopardy.
Paul added William’s surrender is an answer to their prayer. Paul went on to thank the people who worked “tirelessly to bring justice” for the death of his son. Many have been giving tips after William’s vehicle was described thoroughly through a short surveillance video.
Although Williams surrendered, Paul is still asking for prayers for his family. He shared, “The only word that comes to mind is ‘unimaginable.’ There are no words in the English language, nor should there be, to describe the pain that we’re going through right now.”
Mayor Sylvester Turner also released a statement saying that the arrest will not bring back the teenager, but hopes and prays that it brings comfort to the grieving family. He added that the shooting was senseless and indefensible, so the city should work together “to ensure that an accident like this never happens again.”